Selling and buying a new home is not new these days and in fact, the number of houses for sale in the U.S. is increasing for many reasons. Some people with growing families just don’t want to spend more on house remodeling projects, and others had to relocate because of work. Either way, there are important things that you need to know before putting up your house on sale. These things will help you a lot in raising the value of your house, allowing you to purchase the house that you really want.
Reasons Why People Put Their Houses in the Market
- A growing family – the house is already too small for the family.
- People want to have a better, grander house.
- A family member needs to relocate because of his or her job.
- Someone’s getting married or divorced.
- Lifestyle changes are made.
- Someone’s retiring.
Since the market value of most houses in the U.S. is continuously growing (with a 10.17% price index increase by the end of the first quarter of 2013), many people try to improve the market value of their properties with construction projects and renovations. Experts say that this would gradually decrease by 2016. More and more houses are put up in the market these days. If you’re planning to sell your house because of a growing family or job relocation, there are things that you can do to come up with a great profit, which is enough for you to purchase a better home for your family.
Preparing to Sell Your House
Getting profit from selling your home sounds a good thing, but it might leave you feeling bad about yourself because of the attachments you have with the house. Family heirlooms, personalized rooms, and favorite places in the house are some of the things that might stop you from selling the house. Here are some of the things that might help you disassociate yourself with the house that you want to sell.
- Remind yourself that you’ll be moving away from the house.
- Let go of the emotions you have, especially on the little things that seem to be very special for you.
- Imagine yourself giving away the keys and the papers of the house.
- Pack up family heirlooms and photographs that might distract buyers while looking at your house.
- Remove the things that you don’t use in the house. Organize rooms to keep buyers interested with your house.
- Clean the house. Make everything pleasing to the eyes.
- Get a place where you can store your things as you find a new place to stay.
Of course, selling your home as it is won’t be a problem since there will always be a family that’ll be very interested to live in it. On the other hand, this is not a good idea if you want to raise the market value of your house. Upgrades are great since they provide additional value to your property, but they are definitely costly if you don’t know what you’re doing.
Remodeling Your House for Sale
The way you live in your house isn’t going to help you in staging it for potential buyers. Once you’ve removed all your personal belongings in the house, this is the time to contact a Portland builder and talk about staging the house. One of the common ways of improving the market value of a house is through a kitchen remodel project.
Once of the most common mistakes in remodeling projects is overspending. When this happens, you won’t be able to see a return of your investment. In fact, some people who spent too much on simple remodeling projects lost a lot of money in the process. For energy-conscious people, kitchens that are open for modern appliances with energy-efficient features are great buys.
While you can spend lots of money on upgrading old appliances to newer and energy-efficient ones, you can stage your house with cheaper energy savers like LED lighting fixtures. You need to remove outdated lighting, especially the ones that use incandescent light bulbs since they take up lots of power and pose fire risks.
Another remodeling project used to raise the market value of houses is a bathroom remodel. A grungy bathroom is no good for future buyers. Also, it’s also great to have a new medicine and vanity cabinet. If you are having a hard time cleaning the entire bathroom, you might want to hire professionals who have the best cleaning tools.
Useful House Renovation Tips
Contrary to what most people think, the kitchen is the heart of the home. Thus, improvements on this area will definitely add up to the value of your home. It’s best to contact a builder to know the do’s and don’ts in home renovations. If you have an old-fashioned kitchen that’s equipped with antique accents, it’s not a good idea to overdo the design and add more clutter in the process.
A paintjob is definitely a must in renovating rooms in your house. It’s cheap, but it does create more value to your house. Low-VOC paint is a good choice especially if you meet potential buyers that are very particular with health risks and prefer eco-friendly houses. If there’s only one bathroom in the house, adding one more can also improve its market value.
Before you have the contractor work on your house renovation project, keep in mind these important things:
- Rooms that are versatile for home improvement and personalization will keep buyers interested with your house.
- It’s not a good idea to remove basements since they serve as additional rooms. Families with aging members often use the basement as a small living space.
- Renovating attics is a useful way to attract potentials buyers with children. This is because families with growing members use the attic in many ways, such as a play room or craft room.
- Adding energy efficient features is also great, but don’t forget that it may cost a lot. Always talk to your contractor about the things you need to be done and how much everything costs.